Become a Board Member
What is the UCSD CSE Alumni board ?
It is a group of 12 alumnus who are passionate about the CSE department and want to have a positive impact on the education and careers of current and future students.
Cool, how do I join?
Nominations for new board members are taken during the first quarter of the year (Jan-March). You can be nominated by a current board member, faculty member, other alumni, or yourself. If you are nominating another person, please ensure they are willing to take on the responsibilities of board membership before you nominate them. New members are voted on by the current board at the Spring board meeting usually held in early April.
How long am I signing up for?
Terms are a minimum of three years on the board. After the third year members can nominate themselves again and be voted in to another three year term. Four board seats are voted on each year.
Board member nominees must be willing to take on the following responsibilities:
- Attend two mandatory in-person board meeting per year in San Diego. Some travel expenses are covered by the Alumni Board for those living out of state to attend these meetings.
- Attend a monthly board check-in call on the second Wednesday of each month.
- Be an active participant on the board via email and phone.
- Be willing to share ideas freely and take on responsibility to make these ideas a reality.
There is no fixed amount of time or participation required. Typically a member spends ~1-10 hours a month working on board responsibilities. Board members in the southern California area will be more heavily relied upon to participate on campus for student events and visiting with faculty, but this is not a requirement of membership.
Looking good. Are there any requirements/qualities you are looking for?
- Be a UCSD graduate with a major in Computer Science (required)
- Passion for the UCSD CSE department
- An interest in improving the experience of students
- Excitement for putting on events for current students and alumni
- Willingness to help us create a UCSD CSE Alumni community
The UCSD Alumni board actively seeks diverse backgrounds and opinions.
Alright! I'm in, whom do I email?
To apply to be a UCSD CSE Alumni board member or to nominate a graduate you feel would be great, please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Position and Company:
Why are you (or your nominee) passionate about the UCSD CSE Department?
What qualities would you (or your nominee) bring to the UCSD CSE Alumni Board?
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.