Setting up a Printer in Mac OS X
Below are the basic steps necessary for setting up a printer on a workstation running Mac OS X.
For a list of central printers in the department and general information about printing in the CSE department, see the printing page.
- Click the Apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences...
- Click Print & Fax
- Click the + button at the bottom of the Printers list (on the left side of the Print & Fax window)
- Fill the form in as follows:
- Protocol: change to HP Jetdirect - socket
- Address: enter the host name of the printer (e.g. p1234-b1.ucsd.edu)
- Queue: leave empty
- Name: enter the name of the printer (e.g. p1234-b1 [drop the .ucsd.edu that comes up by default])
- Print Using: the correct printer model should come up by default
- Click the Add button
- If you have set up multiple printers and would like to set one of the printers as the default printer, right click on the printer you would like to be the default printer in the Print & Fax settings window and select Set Default Printer