FAQs for Recruiting and DLS Hosts
Coordinator of schedule and travel arrangements - Jocelyn Bernardo
Chair and Host's responsibilities
- Give the coordinator the name of the faculty host, applicant's email address and visit dates.
- Let the coordinator know what room(s) and time(s) to schedule for seminars and lectures.
- Get the coordinator the Abstract for the Talk.
- The coordinator will initiate schedule sign up by contacting email@example.com; however, the host must make sure the schedule fills up.
- If the Dean or other UCSD faculty (SDSC, ECE, Bioengineering) should be on the visitor's schedule, please let the coordinator know asap -- preferably before "general" sign up begins.
- Follow departmental and University guidelines for entertainment.
- Ensure that everything goes smoothly.
- Attend Recruit and DLS Talks.
- Sign up to meet with the visitor.
- Read the faculty recruit's file.
What does the host need to know about travel arrangements?
- The coordinator will work with the visitor on travel arrangements.
- For specific details on travel arrangements, check out our webpage, FAQs for Faculty Recruits and Distinguished Lecturer Visitors.
- The department does not pay for the spouse of a DLS visitor.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses for spouse of faculty recruit requires prior approval from the recruit chair.
- The department supports the visitor's travel from state monies, and therefore is only able to reimburse for coach or economy class air travel. Any exceptions to policy require pre-approval from our Department Chair and the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
How do we announce our talks?
The coordinator will send the announcement and abstract to the following lists:
If you have any additional requests you must notify your coordinator.
Who do we contact about special audio-visual requests for the Talk?
Contact Dave Wargo for any special network needs (eg., personal laptop connection). It is recommended that you also keep Dave informed of any special requests - in case he is called upon for assistance.
The University has maximum rates that are used for reimbursing entertainment expenses. These are UC rules and can not be changed by the department.
The reimbursement rates below are per person. Anything beyond these dollar amounts require a SVCAA policy exception. The department has a long-standing tradition not to request such an exception. Traditionally VC's view excessive entertainment expenses as not a good use of state (or unrestricted) resources.
- Breakfast: $26.00
- Lunch: $38.00
- Dinner: $64.00
- Light Refreshment: $17.00
How is lunch usually handled for the recruits and distinguished lecturers?
Most lunches take place at the Faculty Club. Since the cost of lunch is very reasonable limits placed on attendants is more flexible (usually not exceeding 8 or so).
Pick up a faculty club card from CSE's executive assistant, CSE 2264.
You must drop off the card to the Fiscal Manager along with the receipt after the lunch. Be sure to write down the reason for the lunch and list the names of people who attended.
Because there are relaxed limits, it is not necessary to sign up for reservations. Usually, lunch follows the Talk and those who wish to attend go in a group.
If it is expected that a large group will be in attendance for lunch, it is possible to reserve a private room at the Faculty Club. Please get approval from the Chair and let the coordinator know if you need a reservation made.
What are the department guidelines for dinner expenses?
The University allows up to $64 per person for dinner expenses. The department will reimburse up to a total of $320 for dinner expenses. If a more reasonable restaurant is chosen, more faculty can attend the dinner (i.e., 5 people at $64 per person, 9 people at $35 per person)
The maximum reimbursement for dinner is $64 per person. You can not go over this dollar amount - regardless of the index number used. Any expenses exceeding this limit will be out of pocket.
What are the University guidelines regarding reimbursement for alcohol and meals?
State Appropriations General Funds (19900A) and Specific and Special State Appropriations (199XXA, 18000A-18199A) cannot be used to reimburse any portion of meal expenses in excess of the allowed amounts. In addition, no alcohol expense will be reimbursed with these funds.
Original itemized receipts must be attached. Itemized receipts in addition to charge-card receipts must be submitted so that the food and beverage charges can be properly identified. Any request or reimbursement of alcohol charges needs vice chancellor approval.
Taxi Cab Information
La Jolla Taxi Cab is familiar with our campus. It is best to ask them to pick up the guest at the Warren mall crossing. Their phone number is (858) 453-4222.