How to Hire Students
Following are the basic steps that must be followed when conducting a recruitment for a student employee. The department's Human Resources Coordinator can assist faculty and staff supervisors with all steps of the recruitment process. For more detailed information on student recruitments, UCSD Blink - How to Hire Students
Staff Recruitment Process and Tips
- Identify the job
- Consider duties to be performed and skills and knowledge required or preferred to perform the duties, as well as the number of hours per week needed to perform the duties, who the supervisor will be, and rate of pay that you will offer.
- Identify how you would like students to apply for an interview (call, e-mail, fax/send resume, etc.)
- Decide what type of funds will be used to pay for the position. If you wish to hire a work-study student, a percentage of the funding must be departmental monies; the remaining funding will come from the designated work-study program. This will save you money, but will limit your pool of applicants to those who qualify for the work-study (a financial aid) program.
- Submit a short description of the position to the department's HR Coordinator for posting. The position will be posted on UCSD's Career Services' Web site. Interested students will apply directly to the department.
- Screen and interview applicants.
- Determine which students may be qualified for the position and interview them, asking each the same set of questions.
- Verify that each candidate is currently registered at UCSD (students must be registered each quarter they work).
- If you are hiring a work-study student, ask for a copy of the candidate's Student Financial Services Award Letter showing an accepted work-study award.
- Select a candidate for hire
- Check with the department's HR Coordinator to see what else may be required in the hiring process.
- Find out what type of timekeeping records are required of you and the student employee.
- Make an offer to the candidate you have selected.
- Refer the candidate to the department's HR Coordinator for preparing the online hire information in the Payroll Personnel System. Please note: The student may not work until this process has been completed.
- Inform all candidates of the outcome of the interview process.